Sunday, September 20, 2009

Reflection on Week 2 Assignments

I am finding the new types of technology that we are using in this class to be very interesting. Most of the sites that I was asked to go to for week two of this class are things that I have never heard of before. My favorite site that I was asked to go to is the delicious bookmarking site. Usually, I end up digging through old emails to find the URL for the Wikis that I use in my deaf education classes, but now all of the sites that I frequently visit are bookmarked and neatly organized for quick accessability.

I am also really enjoying looking at the blogs that other students have created for this course. I have never really thought of blogs or twitter as professional development tools, but I am quickly learning that they can be. It is refreshing to hear others ideas about teaching and technology, and the videos that my classmates posted really caught my attention. I previously thought that because this class was online, I was going to be much more isolated than if I had taken it in a classroom. However, I feel like I have the opportunity to talk to all of my classmates and see what they are thinking a great deal more than in many of my other classes, especially my large lectures.

I also am a fan of the rss reader that I have created because it sends all of the information from my collegues' blogs to one central location. It is so much easier when I can visit one page and click on different names to see the blogs that I haven't read yet.

Another thing that I have discovered is that it is easier for me to comment on other's blog posts than to write my own. I think that this is because other people's posts often spark an idea in my head or get me thinking, and it is simple to have a dialog back and forth with them about how their ideas relate to mine. However, if I am writing my own blog posts, I need to come up with an idea from scratch and that is sometimes more difficult.

There is one last thing that is still proving to be difficult. Learning how to work with technology easily becomes very time consuming because I need a lot of extra time to play around with the different forms of technology that we are using in this class before I can fully understand them. The labs that had video tutorials, however, really helped out this week because I could visually see how the different technologies worked before I attempted to create my own.

5 comments:

  1. Jenna, I agree with you that all of these new technologies that we have been introduced to are really interesing! I particularly fell in love with the RSS reader! It is going to help reduce some of those feelings of being overwhelmed we have been having! Delicious is a great too. Allowing others to share your bookmarks is a GREAT networking tool!

    Finally, as for how much time everything is taking to figure out, I couldn't agree with you more! I think it will become quicker and easier the more familiar we become with it. We just need to keep reminding ourselves that it all is going to make us better educators some day! Hang in there!-Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you about learning about all this technology! You talked about really liking the RSS, you should really try TweetDeck as well. It holds all your facebook and Twitter information on there in one spot. This way just like the RSS you only have to go to one site to get all your information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Erin! I like the tweetdeck suggestion. I am all about trying to consolidate all of this information so that I only need to look in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin,
    I just tried out TweetDeck, and I love it! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete