Sunday, November 8, 2009

Everyone is a Star: Digital Storytelling

This is a lesson that I would present to the children at the beginning of the year. It would present an excellent opportunity for me to get to know my students and for my new students to get to know me. I would have the students complete a digital story that falls under the category "Everyone is a star." I would explain to the students that everyone is a star because they are all unique. Everyone has special talents and abilities, and I want the students to each have a chance to showcase their talents for their classmates and for me. Therefore I will give the children some time to create a digital story that tells me why they are a star. The more that I know about my students individually, the more that I can cater my lessons to their interests in order to captivate my student's attention and encourage them to see the material that I am teaching as relevant to their lives. I want my students to want to learn.

I would present the digital story below for the students so that they have an idea of what I am expecting from them before they begin this project. This would also give the students a chance to get to know me, and what I like to do a little bit better. This would also be a chance to have children in the lower elementary grades practice their writing skills in a more enticing way than the traditional pen and paper format. I think that children will be more eager to complete this assignment if they get to use some of their creativity to produce a digital end product. Students could either use their own pictures, or find pictures on the web to use for this project.



I used slide to create this digital story. I loved this technology because it was so easy to use. There are explicit buttons for uploading pictures from different sources. After I chose the pictures, I just went down the line, through the steps of adding transitions, backgrounds, music, titles, and words. After I chose the music, Slide automatically added the copyright information to the digital story. The only thing that I didn't like about this technology was that I couldn't figure out how to create a blank slide. I wanted to have the title read, "Everyone is a star." I originally intended to follow this with a blank slide that said, "I am a star because..." I would then go through all of the pictures and captions that described me, and end with another blank slide that said, "What makes you a star?" However, since I couldn't figure out how to add blank slides instead of ones with pictures, I had to revamp my plan a little bit.

Also, in this slideshow, I used my own pictures. However, I wanted to ask those of you who are reading this: if I had used pictures that I pulled off of Creative Commons, where would you suggest that I put the copyright information? Do I put that right in the PowerPoint with the digital story information, or do I add it as an appendix on my blog, but not in the PowerPoint? What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Jenna, I was wondering about the citing of any pictures we used off the internet as well. In the lab it did not have any instructions in doing this. My best answer right now would be to add this into the end of your presentation. Perhaps this would be a good question for us to ask Greg about. Good work on the presentation though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, I really liked your lesson idea. I think that is a very important thing as a teacher is to get to know your students. I also think it is very important that your other students see where their peers are from and their interests. It does show them how people are all unique and are individuals.

    As for the citing, I would agree with Abby, I would put the information at the end of the slide. Also, if you were going to use others pictures would you have to have the citations for your class that you woudl be presenting this too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information about citing my sources! Erin, to answer your question, I would think that I would need to have the citations for the class that I am presenting to, otherwise it would be plagiarism. However, it seems like, when working with young students, having the citations included might confuse them more. You can't really expect first or second graders to understand or use citations. What do you think? Would you include the citations for the class, if you were presenting a similar presentation?

    ReplyDelete