Sunday, October 25, 2009

PowerPoint Presentation: Cleaning Your Ear Molds



I liked this activity because it gave me the chance to play around with Google Docs a little bit more than I was able to last week. I chose to create my powerpoint on Google Docs because it is always much easier to use technology that I am already familiar with. In addition, I prefer having as much information as possible stored in one spot. Therefore, the idea that I can go to one site and get my resume, my powerpoint, etc. is much more appealing than having to travel to several different types of sites to access different documents that I have created.

I chose to do my presentation on cleaning the ear-mold portion of the hearing aid because this is something that my students will need to become familiar with. Often parents clean children's ear-molds for them because it is easier and faster for the parent to do it than for them to wait for the child to figure it out. However, being able to take care of their equipment will give these children a sense of responsibility. In addition, it isn't always something that their parents will be able to do for them. Eventually they will need to be responsible for the cleaning, and school is a great environment for students to practice this and learn the proper way to clean their ear-molds without damaging them. This is one of the many skills that deaf and hard of hearing children need to learn in order to become independent individuals!

2 comments:

  1. You make a good point about having all your information in one spot. I feel that it will be much quicker and a lot easier when it comes time to find all your information.

    Also, I really liked how you kept the presentation simple and to the point. This way people can see what you are about to talk about and then still be able to concentrate on what you are going to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reading really made me think about that. There are so many times in class that I have felt like I had information overload from the PowerPoints that teachers were providing. Often I couldn't read the PowerPoint through and listen to what they were saying at the same time. Therefore, I tried to keep the information really simple so that students would be able to easily see what the important parts of the presentation would be. I figured that I could add more details using notes in PowerPoint, and through discussion with the students. Also, I tried to make the pictures very relevant instead of just having "fun" pictures that didn't really add much to the presentation.

    ReplyDelete