Sunday, October 4, 2009

Twitter

I'm still not sure how I feel about Twitter. I kind of think that it's overkill to hear about what everyone is doing every minute of every day. Also, I am a very long winded person, and whenever I try to write in the text box, my message is always just a few characters too long. Therefore, I always end up trying to figure out how to shorten it without writing in shorthand.

However, when am reading messages, I do appreciate the brevity of them. I feel like in college classes, we often get bogged down with reading, and its nice to get the main idea from posts that are only a sentance or two long. Often, if I want to know more about a specific post, there is a link to a website where I can get more information. However, if I am not interested, I will know right away not to click on the link from that post.

I also like following some of the educational posts because it forces me to be constantly thinking about what I can do to make myself a better teacher. However, some of the tweets that I have been following are not very good. For example, I'm not a fan of the k3teachers twitter account. All of the posts catch my attention with their topics, but when I actually click on the attached link, it's never very informative. For example, I was excited when I saw a link to songs that are good for lower elementary teachers to use in their classrooms. However, when I clicked on the link, it was mostly camp songs, and those are not really relevant for the classroom. Another post was about good Iphone applications for children. The article that it was linked with suggested that as a parent, you get several applications for your Iphone so that when your child is bord at the grocery store, you can give them your iphone to play with. First of all, I'm not sure how I feel about using technology as a babysitter, and second I don't really know how this relates to teaching. Therefore, its taking me some time to sift through which educational tweets I find relevant, and which ones I should disgard.

Overall, I am still unsure about how I feel about twitter. I can see how it can be a good educational tool, but I don't know if I will continue to use it after this class is over. In addition, I don't think that I will ever really use it as a type of social medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment