Sunday, October 25, 2009

Check Out This Slideshare Presentation

I think that it is a really cool idea to add audio to this powerpoint. That way, students who miss class, need extra reinforcement, or forget something that you said in class can come back to this PowerPoint at a different time and review it. However, I found adding my voice to be very difficult. I do not have a microphone on my computer so I was unable to add sound. Therefore, I borrowed my roommate's computer, which is a Mac and saves all audio recordings to to an M4a file. However, in order to upload sound files onto slideshare, they need to be in an MP3 format. Therefore, I enlisted my roommate and her brother to help me figure out how to convert the file. They played around with it for an hour and a half until we finally figured out how to do it. On the bright side, I learned that you can go to the website zamzar.com to transfer a M4a file to an MP3 file, and they will email you the new file. Although the end product turned out pretty well, I'm not sure that the experience that I had trying to figure out how to add the vocals was worth it. I probably would not use this technology again, at least not on a Mac. I'm still not really sure how we finally got the files converted and uploaded, and I don't know if I could duplicate the effort if I had to do it again. I also don't really like listening to myself talk online. I always feel like is sound a lot different than I intended to. Also, the sound quality is not perfect. There are a few crackly spots where I recorded over something that I had already said. Therefore, I have mixed feelings about this type of technology.

3 comments:

  1. Jenna, You did a really nice job on your slide show! The text you chose was simple and informative. You pictures were also beneficial for accompanying the directions you were providing both verbally and textually. From someone who had no idea how to clean a hearing aid I feel that your presentation could help me if I were trying to learn how. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very good presentation. i really like how you added the narration. Now I have a question for you as well, would you have continuted to narrate it if you were presenting this to a class in person? Or would you have just talked like you were teaching a class?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby,
    I'm glad that you enjoyed my presentation. I wanted to keep the pictures and text simple because this would most likely be directed towards children in the younger grades. Also, I think that all too often, teachers try to put everything that they want students to know on the PowerPoint. Then the presentation becomes too visually overwhelming for students and they don't know what to focus on.

    Erin,
    To answer your question, I would have just talked while I was teaching in class, but I think that it would be beneficial to post this PowerPoint online with the narration so that students could access it at home if they needed information to remind them of how to clean their hearing aides after our classroom discussion. Also, if young students were going to access this powerpoint online, it would be extremely beneficial to have the narration included because their reading skills might not be that comprehensive yet.

    ReplyDelete